Saturday, December 5, 2009

Curiously, One of My Most Potent Early Memories of Living in Paris


Sorry guys, you're going to have to indulge me for a moment or two.

Cos I came across some photos of the older style carriages of the Paris Metro - and realised they represented one of my most potent early memories of living in Paris.


They were Sprague-Thomson rolling stock, built between 1926 and 1935 and still in use when I was there.

I can even vividly remember the particularly intense screech of the metal wheels on the track as the carriages braked when the train came into the station ...



... and the release of compressed air when the door were released for passengers to be able to leave the train ...



I'd forgotten that first class and green second class carriages were red and green respectively ...



... and then recalled they were distinguished inside mainly in the seating ...



... with very very (very) hard veneered wooden slats in second class ...



I have a dim memory of other interior features ...



... but a strong one of the driver's compartment ...


All so incredibly up close and personal - thanks for the indulgence guys!

I'm sure there must be things that do the same for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment