Saturday, January 22, 2011

Magical Dali in Far Western China


A few years back, I was wandering round far western China, as you do, and I happened across the ancient local capital of Dali. In fact the city was the centre of both the Bai kingdom of Nanzhao (8th and 9th centuries) and the Kingdom of Dali (937-1253).

The approach by boat across Erhai lake past an island temple heralded something special ...




So when I landed ...


... I headed off in the very highest spirits to the city gate ...


... and, almost a daze, just wandered round the narrow streets ...


... crowded with old buildings ...


... and shops ...



When I poked my nose into this alley way leading to the courtyard of a home, the inhabitants invited me in for tea - the magic continued to be woven!


I'd heard there was a temple complex in the nearby hills ...



... and when I arrived all was shrouded in mist ...







... the magic was not letting up!

Walking back down to Dali, I by chance wandered into the rarest temple of all in the Peoples' Republic - one still functioning for religious observance ...



... and replete with resident monks ...


... who had just in fact completed their daily laundry.

The magic was still in top gear!

Back in town, I was feeling more than a bit fazed. A couple of travellers began chatting to me and everything cleared quite quickly - I realised I hadn't spoken at any length for a couple of weeks and that this had led to the disorientation.

Having perked up, my new friends and I followed this group of women ...


... to what turned out to be the local market day ...








One of by new companions couldn't resist this trio of older men just calmly watching life go by ...


As you'll have noticed, everyone but everyone is dressed in traditional clothing.

The people in this region belong to one of China's (92) minority groups - and dress as they do to demonstrate themselves as separate and different from the Han majority.

A bit of reading back in Australia confirmed the development of a movement in the area for local autonomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment